Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cook Book Review:Healthy Meals for Less


I have decided to do a cookbook review here on Voyage d'un jeune chef I love to try new cookbooks out but hate buying something and not loving the recipes in it. I hope to share my thoughts and experience to help you find cookbooks that you and your family will love. I would like to review as many cookbooks as possible but I hope to start out reviewing once a month at least.
Today I am going to review, Jonni McCoy's Healthy Meals for Less.

This is one of my go-to cookbooks for so many reasons but I especially like that it provides me with nutrition information for every recipe as well as serving size and an estimated cost per serving! The book is also full of kitchen tips that give me the opportunity to learn new tricks while preparing my family's meals.

The recipes are categorized in easy to find sections that include: Appetizers, Beverages, Soups, Vegetables and Side Dishes, Main Dishes, Vegetarian Dishes, Turkey Dishes (who doesn't have leftover turkey after Thanksgiving?), Slow Cooking, Breads and Muffins, Sauces and Dressings, Mixes, and Desserts and Snacks. The book also offers food storage information, measuring abbreviations, food equivalency charts, and the always helpful emergency substitutions!

Now I haven't tried all of the recipes in this book but for the most part my entire family has loved anything I have prepared out of this book. My personal favorite section is the slow cooking section. I love recipes that I can forget about while they cook especially when my week gets hectic.

The recipes come with a detailed ingredients list and easy to follow directions. Some also include side dish tips. Some of my favorite Healthy Meals for Less include: Chef Miserly Beefy Mac (Lots of servings and tastes great!), S's Favorite Blackened Fish, Black Bean Chili, Veggie Spaghetti Sauce, and Mexican Seasoning mix( I will never go back to store bought taco seasoning!).

Jonni McCoy has out done herself with this cookbook. Not only are the recipes healthy but they are cheap too! Check it out for yourself....Healthy Meals for Less.

No comments:

Post a Comment