Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Walnut Trail Mix

I have been looking for some decent snacks lately to replace all of the junk that we have eliminated from our diets because sometimes fruits and veggies just aren't what I am wanting for a snack. I have been crazy a salty/sweet snack so I thought I would try to make my own Trail Mix type snack. I wasn't in the mood to head to the grocery store so I just went through my (newly "de-junked") pantry to make my mix. I am loving what I came up with. I am learning to get creative with foods and go beyond the recipes which is fun.

Anyway here is what I came up with for my Walnut Trail Mix

1 cup Walnuts
1 cup Raisins
1/2 cup Chocolate chips (I used these) They may not be the best but better than some of the options, I think.
1 cup Popcorn (air popped, no butter or salt)

Mix it up really well and serve or set aside for later.

Obviously you can use whatever you like best in your own mix but I think it is important to find clean snacks when replacing the junk snacks that you and your family have gotten used to eating. Eliminating is very important but if you don't replace the junk I would be willing to bet you get bored and end up eating the junk again...eventually. I could be wrong about that but I know for my family eating fruit and veggies for every snack is going to get a bit boring and make it easier to fall back into old habits. So find some snacks that can replace your junky snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment