Sunday, August 21, 2011

Bountiful Baskets

Over a year ago I discovered a product co-op here in Las Vegas, Bountiful Baskets. I love fresh produce and living in Las Vegas makes it difficult to find affordable produce that is fresh and hasn't traveled thousands of miles. Every Saturday morning I get to go to a local park and pick up a basket of veggies and a basket of fruit (all organic) for only $26! They also over conventional baskets, which aren't organic for only $16.
Each week I find either a vegetable or fruit that I have no experience with and sometimes both. I love that I can get fresh, organic produce for a great price and discover new recipes. I get to experiment each week with something new and get out of my comfort zone just a bit.
This past week one of the offerings was a box of plums with nearly 12 different varieties. I currently have an overabundance of plums but thanks to my dehydrator and Google I am going to find some yummy ways to use all of these great plums.
How it works?
Bountiful Baskets is completely volunteer run and organized. It started in Arizona and now has weekly offerings all over the country. Each week participants log onto the website and purchase their basket. The money from all contributions are pooled together and produce is purchased. From Bountiful Baskets website:
This is a grass roots, all volunteer, no contracts, no catch co-operative. Without volunteers this co-op wouldn’t happen, so you will need to help as you are able. There are many opportunities to help!...As a group, we purchase items at deep discounts. Items are then distributed evenly among participants...We get a variety of high-quality seasonal produce. We balance variety with seasonality in order to get the most appealing and cost-effective basket possible. We choose to use local produce first when available, then regional produce if it is not.
Bountiful Baskets is a great opportunity to add fresh, seasonal produce to your weekly menu at great prices. Check out Bountiful Baskets to see if there are any offerings in your area or to get a local site started.
I will start sharing my weekly basket contents each week so you can see the great produce I get each week!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see these posts. I think fresh produce posts are awesome.
    esp when ppl are like this came in my CSA box LOL I need to do that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo with you on this co-op. I live in UT and have gotten baskets for 2 1/2 years though the past year and a half I've been a site leader. It's so much fun to see what you get each week. My kids have found a love of produce because of the fun it is bringing surprises home each week!

    Lisa
    gourmified.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete