Monday, August 22, 2011

Green Smoothies

A few weeks ago on my friend's on a Military Spouse support forum introduced me to Green Smoothies. I have seen them before but thought the list of ingredients always sounded awful. I finally convinced myself to try and now must say I am addicted to them. They are so much fun to make because I never make use the exact same ingredients twice.
I have actually started replacing two meals a day with a Green Smoothie. Thanks to Bountiful Baskets I am able to have a variety of fresh, organic produce available to me at all times. I am by no means an expert on how to make the best green smoothie but some of my favorite ingredients include: spinach, kale, frozen bananas, flaxseed oil, and grapes. I always include spinach and bananas in my smoothies. From there I just toss what sounds good into the blender and go from there. I do not use milk or yogurt in my smoothies. I have found that my smoothies are nice and smoothie like without the extra calories of dairy products. I always include about a cup of water too. If I don't use any frozen ingredients I will toss in some ice too but I don't like things too cold so I skip ice most of the time.
Smoothies are great for a quick meal. I have found that I am fuller longer when I drink a smoothie than when I eat a full meal. As I start to explore the world of green smoothies further I will share with you what works and doesn't work for me. Have you tried green smoothies? What are your favorites?
If you are interested here is a link to get you started on your Green Smoothie adventure. Green Smoothie Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment