Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Wives of Faith Christmas Carnival

Today's Wives of Faith Christmas Carnival topic is: favorite Christmas dessert. I must say this was a hard one for me because I love desserts and love to bake so there were so many to chose from. Some of my favorites include: Pumpkin Roll, Oreo Fudge, Chocolate Dipped Pretzels, Cinnamon Rolls, Sugar Cookies (the frosted cut out kind of course), Molasses cookies, and Popcorn bars. But my favorite dessert, I think, is my Sugar Cookies. I know, I know probably a boring recipe huh?
I always use Betty Crocker's Christmas Cookbook for my sugar cookie recipe, unless I am making plain sugar cookies (no cutouts and not frosted), then I use my Great Grandma's recipe.
So without further ado here is my favorite Christmas dessert recipe.
Deluxe Sugar Cookies
1.5 cups Powdered Sugar
1 cup butter
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2.5 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tarter
Mix powdered sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, and almond extract. Stir in flour, baking soda, and cream of tarter. Cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours.
Preheat oven to 375*. Divide dough into halves. Roll each half 3/16 inch thick on lightly floured board. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake until edges are light brown about 7 to 8 minutes.
Creamy Decorators' Frosting
1 cup Powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon water
Beat ingredients until smooth and of spreading consistency. Tint with food color if desired. 

Head on over to Wives of Faith to find even more Christmas Recipes. 

2 comments:

  1. I try sugar cookies every year, and every year I fail miserably! Thanks for this recipe, I may try just ONE more time :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have a book or two of yours that I really need to return so just maybe when I return those I can bring a batch of sugar cookies too. :)

    ReplyDelete