Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bountiful Basket Round Up 9/10

This week's Organic Bountiful Basket included: artichokes (I have no idea what to do with these so recommendations would be GREAT!), purple cabbage, sweet potatoes, onions, and lettuce for the veggies. The fruits included: bananas, strawberries, blueberries, pears, apples and peaches.

Bountiful Baskets is such a great organization and a great way to bring healthy foods into your house. If you haven't participated yet visit Bountiful Baskets to find a site near you! Oh and as I mentioned I am looking for recipes ideas for the artichoke and the sweet potatoes...send em my way.

3 comments:

  1. I just got my first one today!! I was so excited to get up this morning and get it! Have fun with yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet potatoes are so versatile! There's a lot you can do with those. I love sweet potato oven fries, and so do the kids.

    The artichokes are a little trickier. I've only ever stuffed and steamed them, served with melted butter and lemon wedges. They are a lot of work and not a lot of eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artichokes aren't too labor intensive if you keep it simple - and I think simple is the way to go with those babies.

    Cut off the bottom stem, and use a kitchen scissors to cut off the point of each leaf. Boil a big pot of water, and put the artichokes in, letting them cook to tenderness (timing is really dependent on size - 20 minutes for very small ones, 40ish minutes for very large ones).

    Melt some butter and squeeze a little lemon juice into it. Pull off the artichoke leaves, one at a time, and dip them in butter. Bite down and scrape your teeth on and under the leaf as you pull it back out, so that the inside goes in your mouth and the outside stays out. When you get all the leaves off, cut the artichoke open and get the heart out, for the best eating of all.

    They aren't hard, but they do take time. They are delicious and a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete