Saturday, September 3, 2011

Bountiful Basket Round Up

This week's Organic basket came with all kinds of great produce including: tomatoes, celery, lettuce, celery, cucumber, squash, bananas, limes, peaces, watermelon, and mango.

Head over to Bountiful Baskets to see if baskets are available in your area! A great way to provide your family with produce at a great cost.

This morning I finally got the chance to head to the pickup site early and volunteered with Bountiful Baskets. It was a great experience and I will be heading back to volunteer every week. It was great to get the opportunity to help participants get their produce.
I arrived at 8am to be greeted by the site coordinators, who were very welcoming. We eagerly awaited the arrival of the semi-truck to deliver our site's produce. Once the truck arrived the hard work began. We had to unload the pallets of produce and organize them into piles. After everything was unloaded it was time to fill the baskets. It was fun to see what was going into each of the baskets. Finally as the participants began to arrive I was able to help everyone get their basket.
Volunteering was a great experience and very rewarding! I love Bountiful Baskets even more now. I look forward to seeing what surprises are in next week's basket and volunteering again.

5 comments:

  1. which one is the squash? I have the same organic basket, by appearances. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacki, It is the yellow round thing, I think? Now that you ask I am not so sure. haha I guess I better get researching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like it might be a canary melon. I got what I think is a miniature honeydew in my organic basket. Canary melons are yummy If that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, I bet you are right! I wasn't sure and just assumed squash because it was the first thing I thought. If it is a melon I can't wait to try it out! See I am really still learning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I received the same basket. What is everyone doing with the limes?

    ReplyDelete