Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Spending Frenzy

It seems like ever since S got back from his last deployment in June we have been on a spending frenzy around here. We took an expensive trip back home and to our dream home of Wisconsin and then came home and just haven't stopped spending. We aren't spending tons of money or buying anything lavish but $50 here and $100 here sure adds up over time. We usually are very good at sticking to a strict budget and saving money but lately well we would be getting a major F in that department.

I think part of it for me is that I know S spent months in a not so nice place and I feel like he deserves to get what he wants. I also have lost a lot of weight, 100 plus pounds, and have discovered my love for nice clothes and workout gear. But whatever the reason for our spending frenzy we have to stop it or we are going to have a bunch of stuff and not be any closer to our future goals and dreams.

After reading about the challenges Keep Calm and Have a Cosmo and My Goal is Simple posed to themselves in regards to purchasing new clothes I have decided to take their challenge a step further and not buy anything unnecessary for myself for the rest of the year. This means if its not groceries or toiletry items I am not buying it. I realize that it sounds pretty strict but I feel like I need to take a step back and realize the material things are what is important. Rather than go to Target and spend money on things that will be forgotten within weeks I can save this money for our future goals and dreams.

Now I will still be buying H his Halloween costume and Christmas presents of course. I will treat myself to a fun family day for my birthday in November instead of spending money on gifts for myself. I would like Christmas in our house to become more about the meaning of Christmas rather than the gifts. So if you are up for joining me in this challenge in any form let me know! I will try to report back on how its going too. So no more spending for me...this should be FUN! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment